Monday, April 23, 2012

Implosion

This past weekend was one of those weekends where I was in WAY over my head. And I knew it. Yet I attempted to "do it all" anyway, and the result?

*KA-BOOM!*

I wish I was one of those people who could just take things in stride, but I'm not. I get stressed, obsessed, and overwhelmed.


This weekend was just filled with entirely too much stuff. Saturday was The Great Cloth Diaper Change, Bebe's gymnastics class, and swim lessons for Dois and I (all between 8:30 and 11:45am). Then after a quick shower and lunch, I was off to a bridal shower (I had been up until midnight Friday crafting bookmarks and making homemade strawberry sorbet for it). I could already feel the tension building at that point--my mind had a list a mile long of all the things I had to-do that I wouldn't be doing. The shower only lasted a few hours, but when I got home the kids were awake and missing mommy time, my sister-in-law was there (she'd come over to watch them since D went to work), and all I managed to do was get one load of laundry done before I crashed out of exhaustion.

Sunday we woke up bright and early (thank you, children) and headed off to Mass as a family. For weeks I had been promising Bebe a trip to Disneyland just the two of us, and wouldn't you know, without much thinking I had set the trip for yesterday! Somewhere in the morning, while getting ready, I freaked out. Just a complete nervous breakdown.

There was still laundry in their baskets from last weekend's laundry. Washed and folded, but not put away. There were two hampers full of laundry that still needed to be washed, not to mention a pail of diapers. The kitchen was a mess, there were toys all over the floor in both of the kids' bedrooms, both kids needed baths... The list was just SO LONG in my head that I lost it. And then, after becoming a crying, sniveling mess for about 30 minutes, I cleaned myself up and off we went to Disneyland.

And we had a blast.

A BLAST.

We've never gone before, just the two of us. I took her on rides she hadn't been on before. We laughed, we hugged, we talked... it was fabulous.

I really thought my meltdown on Sunday morning ruined the day. I'm so glad it didn't, though. Now if only I could figure out how to avoid such a meltdown in the future.

Of course, as I'm on my way to work today I started rattling off the list again: the laundry, diaper wash, kids need baths, clean the kitchen, make dinner (and enough for tomorrow's lunch), put away laundry, etc.... Thankfully, the panic hasn't followed. Not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, you've reached Anne. I'm not able to answer my blog right now, but leave your name and a message after the click, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks!