Friday, July 13, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday (work edition)

 A few weeks ago I was approached at work and asked if I'd be willing to "help the team out" by taking on a task that I had no experience with, using a program I'd never used before. This "7 quick takes" is dedicated to what I learned in the process.

--1--
Being a perfectionist in my normal position (proofreader) is a good thing. Being a perfectionist with this new task (writing) is not. I would write two sentences, read them, delete them, write two or three more, be satisfied, come back later and delete them, lather, rinse, repeat.

--2--
I really enjoyed working with a new program. I've never used InDesign before. I have been rather bored with just reading constantly (I've been at this position for 5+ years now). I felt like working in a new format really made things interesting for me.

--3--
I gained a sense of perspective that I desperately needed. I've been too judgmental of our writers. Now that I have experienced the process, I can see how easy it is for something to get botched.

--4--
I hate asking for help. Every time I needed to ask for help or had a question about something, I felt bad because I was "bothering" someone else and interrupting their work. I think this is also why I'm bad at delegating work, because I feel like everyone has something more important to do.

--5--
As much as I enjoy being a writer, I don't want it to become a full-time job. It actually gave me a renewed appreciation of my proofreading job.

--6--
I want to take a class or two in Adobe programs. I already know Photoshop pretty well, but I think it would be cool to learn about the other programs Adobe provides. Besides InDesign, any recommendations?

--7--
I can't wait to see what I wrote in print!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, you've reached Anne. I'm not able to answer my blog right now, but leave your name and a message after the click, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks!