Thursday, December 13, 2012

7 Quick Takes: Christmas Music edition

Christmas music is playing on my radio 24/7. I thought I'd do a 7 QT entirely dedicated to Christmas music!

--1--

O Holy Night.

One of my favorite Christmas songs of all. When I was in 6th grade at a Catholic school, our music teacher was an Armenian woman who had been an opera singer years before teaching. For our Christmas concert that year, she decided to sing O Holy Night. I have NEVER been as awe-struck as I was when I heard her sing it at the concert rehearsal. I think my mouth was opened then entire time. I was so incredibly disappointed when the night of the concert she had laryngitis and couldn't perform. 

There are so many versions of O Holy Night out there--I'm not sure which one makes me feel the same way her rendition did. I do love Celtic Woman, though, so here's their version of O Holy Night.



--2--

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

Ever since I was a small child, I have loved the deep, meditative sound of O Come, O Come, Emmanuel. Many churches I've attended open every Advent Mass with this song, so in my mind I associate it with a call to prayer. When I hear it, I always hear it in choral form... so enjoy the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing!



--3--

 Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

Whenever it comes on the radio, I just can't stop myself from singing along. And from envisioning the scene from Home Alone. Listen to it, and try not to do the same.



--4--

Mary, Did You Know?

In 2000 I interned for a Catholic youth magazine named YOU! Magazine. There was a plethora of Catholic and Christian-related materials on-hand, and one day I came across a book and CD titled Mary, Did You Know? by Mark Lowery. I read the book and was like--wow, I never thought of it like that. The book and song left an impression on me. In 2006 I came to work for the Christian publisher I work for now, and at that year's Christmas luncheon there was an African-American woman who had the most beautiful gospel singing voice. You know, the kind that can bring you to tears? When I heard the intro bars to this song, I knew it was going to be a doozy, and it was. As she sang, all I could think of was my own experience of motherhood to my then-two-year-old Bebe. And now, with Dois in my life, my connection to this song is even more powerful.



--5--

The Chimney Song

At some point during my high school years, I was introduced to The Chimney Song and it's been one of my favorites ever since. It just makes me giggle. And now that I've shared it with Bebe, it's one of her favorites as well!



--6--

The 12 Days of Christmas

I heard a version of this song the other day by Relient K and loved it.



But I confess that whenever I hear this song, in my head I always think of the John Denver and the Muppets version.


--7--

One More Sleep 'Til Christmas

Speaking of The Muppets... Have you ever seen The Muppet Christmas Carol? One More Sleep 'til Christmas reminds me of all the magic and excitement I felt on Christmas Eve every year as a child.




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, now that you've learned about some of MY favorite Christmas songs, I want to know--what are some of YOURS?!

(Thanks as always to Jen of ConversionDiary for hosting these Quick Takes, as always!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, you've reached Anne. I'm not able to answer my blog right now, but leave your name and a message after the click, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks!