Monday, May 14, 2012

A Mother's Joy

As I mentioned yesterday, we had two things to celebrate--Bebe's First Holy Communion, and Mother's Day. We made an effort to separate the two occasions so that we could enjoy the sacramental rite of passage for Bebe, and also celebrate that which is known as "motherhood."

The morning was a flurry of activity as we prepared for First Communion. The hair, the dress, the tights, the shoes, everything had to be on and in order by 8:15, to be to church by 8:30. Bebe is not a morning person, nor is she one to sit still... so it was definitely an adventure to get ready so quickly! The Mass was beautiful, both kiddos were so well-behaved. Besides my parents being here from the West Coast, D's sister and her boyfriend, and D's aunt and uncle attended as well. It was nice to have a little group of attendees for Bebe's special day. After post-celebration photos, we headed home for some breakfast treats and gift-opening. Of course, her favorite gifts were the cash ones. She's saving for an iPad so she can play "Angry Birds" and "Fruit Ninja". Oh brother. Only $463 more to go!

Then we packed up a picnic lunch and headed to a local park to barbecue. Dois proved to be quite an adventurer on the new-to-him playground, eagerly climbing up stairs, crawling across a bridge, then butt-scooting his way to the top of the slide. At the top he would shout and clap excitedly, before scooting himself far enough that he slid down. He'd stand up, run to the stairs, and repeat. We dined on hot dogs and burgers grilled by D (a typical "American fare" barbecue, which is unusual for us--usually we barbecue Brazilian-style), and then the breeze got to be too much for us (it blew over several plates of hot dogs and chips!) so we headed home. Over a dessert table fit for royalty, gifts were exchanged. D got me a Kindle Fire from the kiddos! (Of course, Bebe started asking me ASAP when SHE could play it.) I have heard about it but have no clue what to do with it. I'm sure it comes with a learning curve.

All in all it was a GREAT but busy day. It was nice to spend Mother's Day with my mom AND my kiddos all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, you've reached Anne. I'm not able to answer my blog right now, but leave your name and a message after the click, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks!